Friday, March 24, 2006

I'm so spoiled...


After reading Angry Chicken's blog about cookbooks this morning I thought it would be a good time to introduce my hubby. We decided that although this blog would primarily be mine, he could record his baking activities from time to time as well. Aren't I sweet?
We don't eat any red meat and hate sea food, so that pretty much leaves us with chicken and pork. We're very picky with our veggies, so it gets really hard to come up with new, interesting meals. I try to do alot of cooking, especially since he's at work and I'm at home and we hate eating out. But...I certainly need help having two little ones. And...he really enjoys it.
I love to look through cook books, but really only if there are alot of pictures (so sad, I know). I admit, when I really need a recipe for whatever it is I'm craving, I usually consult the internet. Apart from a few well worn cookbooks (look below), I've found the internet to be my greatest resource. "The Basics" was a wedding present from and authored by a friend in Colorado (Hi Ann!). I use it ALL the time.

"Breaking Bread with Father Dominic" is one of hubby's favorites. The Alton Brown book isn't a cookbook. But, it's a good organizational tool and...good reads.
My hubby and I both enjoy cooking. I usually stick to comfort foods. I absolutely love making soup or chili and corn bread on cold, rainy days. I also usually make the quick breads like banana and zucchini and the cakes and cookies (see my last post). My wonderfully talented husband loves to bake yeast breads and has expanded into pie crusts (the deep-dish pizza kind!).
Did I say that he makes the BEST deep dish pizza? Four years of college in Chicago completely ruined any other kind of pizza for him and since you can't get authentic "chicago stuffed" anywhere outside Chicago, he toiled away until he came up with his own perfect recipe (crust and sauce both from scratch).
He is also the master of dessert pies (I know, I know, I'm spoiled rotten). He makes an apple-cranberry walnut (adapted from his grandmother's recipe) the "wins" at every Christmas get-together. We replace our pie pans annually. This is because we usually leave the remaining pie with the hosts and almost never get the pan back. Oh, well.
We've been married about five years and I think he's starting to rub off on me. I can now make a pretty darn good chicken curry w/ flat bread and I think I've aced just about every kind of soup. I'd like to try my hand at baking and make croissants from scratch. Every now and then I look at a recipe. It looks horribly difficult and tedious, so I put it off. Is this year the year I'll try it? We'll see....

Oh, and by the way my hubby has TWO brothers....
......sorry, they're taken.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

just checking my own comments to make sure they work...:)

They do!!!!

5:34 PM, March 25, 2006  
Anonymous amy k. said...

these look great! especially the baking book-thanks so much for posting this-and pie!! yum.

11:11 PM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger susan said...

sounds like you've got plenty of inspiration!
if your husband would be willing to share his chicago crust with the world, i know i would be eternally grateful!

11:32 PM, March 30, 2006  
Blogger laura said...

Susan, i'll post my husbands pizza recipes and some pictures this weekend! Wish I could mail you a slice, but you'll just have to make it yourself.:)

9:55 AM, March 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home